Login

russian armor

Uses for Mechanised Groups

13 Mar 2014, 22:38 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Not tried Sniper, but tried Flamer Pio which is a cheep FHT.

Now I have the achivement, so I have taken Mech Group out of my loadout as I find it a bit meh

Ass Grens I am keeping around, as I find them fun and the Assault Group helps you skip techhing
27 Mar 2014, 18:54 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Well, these may become more popular post patch as there will be fewer early tanks.

Also given that the FHT has been bumped back, putting a Pioneer with a flamer in a 250 is a subsitute
9 Apr 2014, 16:28 PM
Patrion 310

I saw the game with StephennJF which was pretty good HT use.

With the new patch the HT are good vs shocks/penals (no guards) on close quarter maps, same with the tiger. Since many soviet players dont tech to T3/T4 and rely on call-in tanks, all you need against that is T1 + HT and save fuel for two tigers late game to deal with IS2/T85/KV8.

Instead of using gren spam in every game, more players should give Mechanised doc a try.
11 Apr 2014, 12:53 PM

LMG42 Gren / Flame Pio are quite good in their german clown car.
18 Apr 2014, 10:38 AM

Its 520 MP. That alone makes it way too expensive for me. Youre usually better off using your limited MP for something else.

And theres also the 40 fuel cost.
Thats ridiculous :(

I can see the LMG Gren group being effective as it can sit at long range and shoot at dem Ruskies while being in good cover. I dont really see a use for PGren groups other than just capping or harassing Engies/Shocks/Penals.
28 May 2014, 20:37 PM
Patrion 27

Hey Gaiz! Mechanized Assault Groups are situational but excellent when called for. I usually sacrifice the HT itself to open up Manpower after a while but I honestly think the 30 fuel is worth it for the shock value and ridiculously rapid deployment of some PGrens.

Here's a replay that shows how effective this Commander is vs. people who are obviously skipping tier three and four and waiting on call-ins.

Cheers!

29 May 2014, 18:20 PM

So far this is one of the rarest 4 achievments

BLITZKRIEG
Deploy 50 Mechanized Assault Groups and 50 Mechanized Grenadier Groups

So, for those of us who are completists or creative and don't want to dismiss anything as useless, what can we do with them?

Both of them are 520 Mp and 40 Fuel and give you an infantry squad in a 250

Mech Assault Group
PGrens in a 250

Mechanised Gren Group
Grens with an LMG in a 250

The Mech Assault group comes in the Mechanised Assault Doctrine:

0 CP AGrens
3 CP Mech Assault Group
5 CP Stug E
8 CP Light Artillery Barrage
10CP Tiger

Specifically this a doctrine that I understand if for limited or no teching, though that's not often viable.

I suppose you can put Shreks on the PGrens and use it kill armour while it's being distracted, but that's a big investement in a vulnerable unit

Or you can just take the PGrens out and use this call in in lieu of T2.

The Mech Gren Group comes in Mechanised Doctrine

3CP Mech Gren Group
4CP Smoke Bombs
5CP Scope
8CP leFH 18 Artillery
8CP Command Tank

It's interesting to note here you are paying MP and Fuel but getting something that costs muntions as the Grens come with LMGs

Both of these look like an Ost clown car, but both come too late to act as one. By the time 3CP comes there are plenty of things that can kill them and the time for swift capping is done.

I have used both in late game where infantry is depleted and a mobile capping unit can fill gaps, that works.

They may also way to move a capping squad that is semi-resistant to shocks.

Thinking if there is anything more.

The 250 itself is underwhelming, it doesn't seem to have any guns, and has an implied cost of 140 MP / 40 Fuel or so

In both cases I have considered doing the following:

Call in the Unit, take the infantry out and use it elsewhere.

The 250 can then either be used as an expendable scout/distraction

Or, you can put a Pioneer in it and use it as a capper (possiblty with flames)

What does anybody else think of these?

I extensively played Panzer Elite back in VCoH, and this commander suits my old strategy great. There are so many uses for this call in. Early they are a great mobile defense unit perfect for killing off random infantry units trying to steal your territory. They are also great at flanking weapons teams or rapidly driving around to kill off a mortar and drive away. I have also used it to drop an mg42 on the flank of an army suppressing a large part of it. When supported by a StugH they can drive around punishing flankers or flanking themselves. One of my favorite things to do is have them drive around with 222s, a throw back to my old 1s PE strat that was 2 panzergrens, 3 scout cars. Even when not upgunned the 222s and this call in will murder any few straggling infantry units not supported by Zis, they will even win vs 2 Guards.

Late game I use this call in as a Taxi or as a flanking / mobile reserve unit. It does require a lot of micro and understanding of troop movement so you do not loose the Halftrack, but usually it takes quite awhile for me to loose it, and it is usually to a chasing turreted tank.

The only problem with this strategy is that it is fuel intensive. It requires aggressive play around the fuel points and most of your anti tank will come from Paks or Panzergrens with shrecks until later on when you can afford a P4. However the early and mid game power of this commander/ call in really takes a toll on the Soviet player.

As What Doth Life said as well, this call in is incredibly devastating vs people who are waiting for call ins because it is difficult to deal with the mobility without a tank of their own.
1 Jun 2014, 02:40 AM
Patrion 27

I have also used it to drop an mg42 on the flank of an army suppressing a large part of it.

You can't garrison set-up teams :facepalm:

Back in the day I would throw a sniper in this halftrack though, that was nasty. I do believe it is the most mobile vehicle in the game.
2 Jun 2014, 16:26 PM

You can't garrison set-up teams :facepalm:

Back in the day I would throw a sniper in this halftrack though, that was nasty. I do believe it is the most mobile vehicle in the game.

I have not tried it recently but I know awhile ago you could garrison in the HT (way before mechanized came out).
13 Jun 2014, 07:27 AM

The soviet m3 is way more cheap (although slightly less armour and health) and actually has a gun.

The gren + 250 is too expensive. Presuming the 250 costs "200 mp, 30 fuel", the lmg gren costs 320. IMO an lmg upgrade isn't worth 80 mp extra. And mp is quite valuable at that stage of the game. You can easily get the munis for lmgs when you reach 3 CPs anyway. Most builds require 3 - 4 grens, so the callin isnt that useful.

The Pgren + 250 price is more reasonable. But still, I think the 250 should cost 120 mp and 20 fuel. The unit isnt spammable anyway, compared to the m3.
15 Jun 2014, 05:56 AM
Patrion 27

The soviet m3 is way more cheap (although slightly less armour and health) and actually has a gun.

The gren + 250 is too expensive. Presuming the 250 costs "200 mp, 30 fuel", the lmg gren costs 320. IMO an lmg upgrade isn't worth 80 mp extra. And mp is quite valuable at that stage of the game. You can easily get the munis for lmgs when you reach 3 CPs anyway. Most builds require 3 - 4 grens, so the callin isnt that useful.

The Pgren + 250 price is more reasonable. But still, I think the 250 should cost 120 mp and 20 fuel. The unit isnt spammable anyway, compared to the m3.

I would take the 80mp lmg over a 60 munitions lmg any day but I'm just a scrub.
15 Jun 2014, 08:20 AM

Would be cool to see someone make this unit work.
18 Jun 2014, 01:57 AM

Tried the unit out more recently. To me the halftrack itself is worth 200/30. The unit should get xp and some level bonuses like mobility, sight, and better accuracy of garrison, etc. (maybe share a bit of xp with garrison, and have dmg xp gain too).

It's a good unit on snow maps. It basically protects your grens in most cases, which would save you mp on reinforce costs. It makes the lmg gren quite effective with decent micro and positioning.

The mechanised call in gives you slightly cheaper Pgrens, which is reasonable if you want to incorporate Pgrens into your army anyway.

The problem of cost is only in the lmg gren call in. By 3 CP, most build orders would already have 3-4 grenadiers. For this reason, it's very expensive and excessive to ask for 500 mp for just getting an extra gren. Mp is more crucial in early game than munis, so giving a lmg for 90-120 extra mp cost is detrimental.

The lmg gren callin should cost 460/30 and be 2 cp, so it's more accessible and reasonable to get. The Pgren callin has a reasonable price and is OBVIOUSLY far superior to the lmg gren one (the commander is overall better too). It seems odd that the pgren call in costs 10 mp cheaper... The high fuel cost prevents spamming "m3 style", and this unit is more of a support vehicle.
18 Jun 2014, 19:14 PM

That poor 250 HT deserves a Mg-42, or atleast as a possible upgrade.
18 Jun 2014, 22:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Or reinforce capability

Right now it's just an expensive armoured box

If you compare it with the call in M5 in lend lease it looks even worse
19 Jun 2014, 03:06 AM

The 250 is a smaller vehicle of the 251, that was mainly used for recon. It wouldnt make sense to have it also reinforce too. If the vehicle had a mg42, it would be quite OP with lmg grens in it.

One idea could be that the vehicle has the "officer" inspire troop ability as a vet 1 ability, and say that it's fitted with command radios.

But as it is atm, it's a decent vehicle that fits its role (recon, troop protection) that probably needs a price & cp decrease for the lmg gren call in, and a veterancy system to scale the unit up (a vet 1 ability, and increasing sight, mobility and garrison buffs).

It's not fair to compare it to the M5, as the M5 requires tech and has a different role.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★