Login

russian armor

Youtube changes policy on Gaming content . Effects on Coh2 ?

19 Dec 2013, 19:24 PM

Your text to link here...

And a well formed opinion on the matter by a well known youtuber

Your text to link here...
19 Dec 2013, 19:29 PM
Coder Red Badge

This isn't new, it's been happening for years. That article (which is painfully terrible btw) doesn't say anything about change, it just quotes a few people claiming they've heard of change. SEGA has publicly stated they don't allow individuals to monetize videos of their games. The only real way to get around that is to be small enough for them to not know you exist.
1 of 3 Relic postsRelic 19 Dec 2013, 19:38 PM

If anyone has any issues with sharing our content on YouTube please let me know.

SEGA does not have a policy on monetizing content, and it's left up to studios to work with their fans.

Creative Assembly has a good program for registering fans who want to monetize content to help protect them from things like this. We're looking into it to see if it would work for us to help protect you.
19 Dec 2013, 19:43 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2013, 19:38 PMNoun
If anyone has any issues with sharing our content on YouTube please let me know.

SEGA does not have a policy on monetizing content, and it's left up to studios to work with their fans.

Creative Assembly has a good program for registering fans who want to monetize content to help protect them from things like this. We're looking into it to see if it would work for us to help protect you.

How come you only answer to useless threads =(
Hux
19 Dec 2013, 20:01 PM
Patrion 14

Noun, Inb4 this turns into a flame-bonanza against Sega and Relic's 'policy' on youtube.
2 of 3 Relic postsRelic 19 Dec 2013, 20:06 PM

Not sure what people would have to say about our policy. We've promoted people who create content for us. We brought some of them out to Relic pre-launch.

This wave of YT issues seems to be automatic content flagging by YouTube. We've had some of our own videos flag.

I just want to make sure people know to come to us if they run into issues.
19 Dec 2013, 20:07 PM

To be fair, his job is managing community stuff, as opposed to actually balancing the game, and so most of the stuff we post about will fall outside of his remit.

EDIT: Ninja'd? wtf
19 Dec 2013, 20:11 PM

he is only posting in useless threads because it makes his life easier
19 Dec 2013, 20:16 PM
Coder Red Badge

Interesting. I've read a lot about how SEGA does not allow individuals to monetize videos of their games...

http://alloyseven.com/component/k2/item/115-monetize-gaming-videos

But if this policy has changed, good news.
19 Dec 2013, 20:16 PM

Thnx for the Ninja response Noun ;) . I hope you find the best way to protect youtubers and i hope the broader youtube community rewards you for your stand up approach to this :) .

Useless thread ? If ppl are having problems uploading videos on youtube how are the games going to be effectively advertised ?
3 of 3 Relic postsRelic 19 Dec 2013, 20:25 PM

As I say SEGA doesn't have a policy. We're working in one.

The problem with asking for blanket permission like the linked article is that it's too vague and will probably get a "no".

Total War has this: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Using_Total_War_Gameplay_Footage and it's something we may explore in the new Year to help protect our content creators.

Right now it's up to studios or brands to handle this. So I can't help you if your Sonic fanfic videos get taken offline.
19 Dec 2013, 20:34 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2013, 20:16 PMkafrion

Useless thread ? If ppl are having problems uploading videos on youtube how are the games going to be effectively advertised ?

By the company who actually created the game???
Inb4 your rage, I didn`t mean it that way, sure gameplay and good/bad of the game should be shared by gamers who know what the end users want to see about the game.
And I think Youtube should be involved in blocking videos on their own will unless the company that made the game says so (like in case of NDA agreements).
Now if Relic has no problem with fans sharing videos then there is nothing to worry about. Hence end of the topic =)
19 Dec 2013, 20:35 PM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2013, 20:25 PMNoun
As I say SEGA doesn't have a policy. We're working in one.

The problem with asking for blanket permission like the linked article is that it's too vague and will probably get a "no".

Total War has this: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Using_Total_War_Gameplay_Footage and it's something we may explore in the new Year to help protect our content creators.

Right now it's up to studios or brands to handle this. So I can't help you if your Sonic fanfic videos get taken offline.

Now that you mentioned Total War =) What do you think about the new DLC? =))
19 Dec 2013, 21:16 PM

is not useless to him?
19 Dec 2013, 21:56 PM

It isn't a useless thread. The issues affect many youtube channels, sometimes even those of the content creators

To Noun and Relic this issue is surely far from irrelevant because these issues (and the press coverage thereof) have mainly shown the content copyright owners in a very bad light. However, it seems that many of them, upon whose authority videos were either blocked or their monetization (ad revenue) claimed, do not really know what is going on.

It seems the problem is created mainly by some (many?) companies just uploading every content they have (even trailers and B-reels specifically designed for use in such videos) to the system. Youtube's content ID system really is just a big stupid robot, designed to save lots of work hours by automatically flagging videos. However, in the process it is creating a lot of work for community managers etc. like Noun because they now need to whitelist many content creators manually.
If you think it is bad now, wait for the holiday when basically nobody is in office to whitelist stuff (or if in office have other stuff to do). The amount of videos appearing on my youtube feed for the last week or so has gone down already (partially because the video makers have to deal with the whitelisting and copyright claim BS but also) because they are earning money from the ads displayed on each video.
This revenue is currently either disabled or going to the claiming companies, they aren't earning anything from the videos and thus have to look for alternative video services (or look for other jobs/side jobs) if their income depended at least partially on youtube.

Seriously, those issues are far from irrelevant. If you enjoy high quality youtube videos, this is a real issue because in the future you may get far less of that. Youtube cranked up their content id system up to 11 (and some people at content owning companies do not understand it, and some people even abuse it).
19 Dec 2013, 22:24 PM
Patrion 14

he is only posting in useless threads because it makes his life easier

Replies like this only makes him more reluctant to reply more often.
19 Dec 2013, 22:29 PM

Replies like this only makes him more reluctant to reply more often.

+1 This thread isn't useless either. If you have nothing productive to add then don't say anything at all.
19 Dec 2013, 22:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2013, 22:29 PMVonIvan

+1 This thread isn't useless either. If you have nothing productive to add then don't say anything at all.

Nuff said
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS