Login

russian armor

(2 - 4) Cemetery Ridge Winter

28 Nov 2013, 00:20 AM

Hello everyone! I'm mostly just a casual LAN player, but every now and then in games I tinker with some minor modding. The CoH 2 community - and especially OnkelSam - has put forth so much excellent information I figured I would go ahead and release my first map project.

It's certainly not perfect nor polished how I'd like. Translating my visions of dictating gamer choices by my map design has proven much more challenging than I anticipated. Still, I've tried to keep the opportunities fair. Anyway, enough rambling in self-deprecation.

Known important issues:
- Slight minimap issues (especially western victory point)
- Still working on experience with tiles, splats and splines to give it more realism
- Some new graphical glitches when updated for Western Front Armies and their bases

CEMETERY RIDGE WINTER

Winter is in full force on this scenic site. A small farming village lies west of the highway. To the east, the coveted high ground and Cemetery Ridge are ripe for the taking.

Download:
Steam Page to Subscribe
Manual Download (2-4) http://www.mediafire.com/download/grd49edop6cu8pf/

Installation: Place the .sga file in your C:\Users\$UserName\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\scenarios folder.

Edit 1: 11/27/13 Updated known important issues
Edit 2: 11/27/13 Improved spacing around cemetery and added a version with 3v3 enabled
Edit 3: 11/28/13 A few more textures and cover objects added
Edit 4: 12/02/13 Lots of polishing (i.e. textures, cover objects) Expanded northern base and removed deep snow inside cemetery
Edit 5: 12/03/13 Balanced the cutoff territories and relinked the (2-6) 3v3 version
Edit 6: 12/04/13 Opened up a few locations to encourage slightly more dynamic gameplay
Edit 7: 12/17/14 Expanded base area to accommodate Western Front Armies
28 Nov 2013, 04:05 AM

I know a lot of players similar to me are always looking for comp stomp options so I went ahead and posted a 3v3 version of the map as well.

The default map was also improved around the cemetery to give better spacing and thus pathfinding for units.
28 Nov 2013, 17:02 PM

what texture did you put on the frozen water?
28 Nov 2013, 17:17 PM

I haven't put any textures on the ice yet. That look just came from modifying the Terrain Properties. I followed OlaHaldor's advice and set the Tiling Scale to 2.

28 Nov 2013, 17:35 PM

Not enough has changed to warrant downloading it again, but I just posted a newer version with a few more textures and cover options for the default (2-4) size.

I think a few more notes are due as well. While the screenshots might look like deep snow everywhere, the majority of the map is not. I'm a sucker for the powdery snow look; and it's one of the easiest textures to spam until I learn more about mixing them to add realism.
2 Dec 2013, 15:28 PM

I uploaded a new version with a lot more polish (i.e. more textures, cover objects and the like).

So far I'm yet to hear any feedback. How is the sizing? Any bugs? Do both teams feel fair? This is the first map I've ever created so I know it isn't as refined as those by more experienced mapmakers. If you enjoy it, and/or would like to see it improved upon, I'd love to hear from you though! I intend to keep slowly putting more work into fleshing it out.

The (2 - 6) version hasn't been updated with any of the new changes. I'll certainly do that if I gather any demand at all.
2 Dec 2013, 18:52 PM

Okay, I just uploaded yet another version. The biggest tweaks are that I expanded the northern base's region and removed the deep snow inside the cemetery.

I removed the (2 - 6) version for now as it's so outdated.
3 Dec 2013, 01:51 AM

Hi VeranKai,
If this is your first Map, then i must say : Well done :)
I like it and i was playing it twice with some friends!
I like your way to create,....btw the Lakeside or the Victorypoint with the Waterfower and the defense to protect it makes a lot of Fun.
Thx for your work and hope we see more of your work in the Future :)
3 Dec 2013, 16:29 PM

Awesome! I'm really glad you've enjoyed it. I just saw you got your Achelous River update posted - haven't had a chance to play it yet, but sweet.

To everyone: Yet another version is up with more balanced cutoff territories and the updated version of the (2-6) for 3v3 action.
3 Dec 2013, 18:06 PM
Patrion 26

I have noticed that the North Fuel point is easily cut off from which favors the south player, but I can`t say the same for the South Fuel point because it connects to both strategic sectors.
3 Dec 2013, 18:49 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I just uploaded the newest tactical map which shows some of the other territory adjustments I've made in the last week. As far as the part you're referencing, I'll definitely tidy up that region in the next update. The sector sharing the longest border doesn't connect to the base though, so the cutoff is strictly from the road point. Each player has two sectors by the roads that serve as cutoffs - one for the east and one for the west. It could definitely look a lot more intuitive and clearcut though. Thanks again!
4 Dec 2013, 19:54 PM

New update: I opened up a few locations/chokepoints, especially on the eastern side, to encourage slightly more dynamic gameplay.

I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the map so I'll stop doing so many incremental updates and posts. Thanks for bearing through my learning! From here on, if something needs addressed or a tweak ever comes, I'll just use the original post and the edit log.
17 Dec 2014, 14:25 PM

Well it's been a year but I came back and gave a quick update to expand the starting base areas.

The Western Front Armies were bugged - specifically the US Army base didn't fit on the playable area. My quick changes did add a couple of minor graphical glitches.

Once again, as a reminder, 99% of the snow on the map is a light powder and not deep!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★