Login

russian armor

Anyone Tired of This?

20 Nov 2013, 11:40 AM

I'll admit that German units were better equipped and trained than any others in WW2 but seriously, what's with the sprinting Panzer Grenadiers with Panzerzrecks?

I'm sick of these squads just running at my tanks and tanking them down, and this is where I'm sure you'll tell me that my tanks are unprotected, they're not. I've got other squads around them but nothing takes down the PG's before they get in range and take out my SU85s. It's not so bad with T3 tanks as they're pretty good AI and I can make the PG's pay while backing off, but T4 is pathetic versus infantry and sluggish to the point of being ridiculous.

Overall I can live with the Pfausts 100% accuracy and ability to 100% of the time take out my engine but the PG's with panzerzrecks are just too much.

At least rename the unit Crazy Sprinting Super Anti Tank Team so I can get a laugh out of it when it happens.

21 Nov 2013, 04:21 AM

I left the game when it was useless, so is this thread suggesting they are useful now like what they were in France?

I would like to play again before Christmas but the Super OP DLC telling me not to :(
21 Nov 2013, 10:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 11:40 AMBKCP
I'll admit that German units were better equipped and trained than any others in WW2 but seriously, what's with the sprinting Panzer Grenadiers with Panzerzrecks?

I'm sick of these squads just running at my tanks and tanking them down, and this is where I'm sure you'll tell me that my tanks are unprotected, they're not. I've got other squads around them but nothing takes down the PG's before they get in range and take out my SU85s. It's not so bad with T3 tanks as they're pretty good AI and I can make the PG's pay while backing off, but T4 is pathetic versus infantry and sluggish to the point of being ridiculous.

Overall I can live with the Pfausts 100% accuracy and ability to 100% of the time take out my engine but the PG's with panzerzrecks are just too much.

At least rename the unit Crazy Sprinting Super Anti Tank Team so I can get a laugh out of it when it happens.

Are you aware of the cost of those shrek-upgraded pgrens? Have you played the german side with them?

I get hit by this too, but I realise that it's simply because I'm not carefull enough in an area with such a powerfull and expensive unit.

I kind of like the rock-paper-scissors part of the game and here's definately a point where tanks can quickly meet their maker.

It would be terribly boring if tanks were untouchable steel-giants.
21 Nov 2013, 15:07 PM

I understand your frustration, pgrens ruined many games of mine as well. Figure, SU-85 is not an assault tank, it is made of glass and dies quickly to anything. But it has super long range, and best tactics to keep them far behind your troops. Let the infantry scout LoS for them so this tanks can snipe out enemy armor.
In terms of protection. Mines mines mines mines mines mines mines mines.
It costs 30 muni to place a mine that will kill 2 out of 4 models and more likely will make your opponent to retreat the squad since it costs a fortune to build pgrens equipped with pshrecks. When you line up your SU's try to picture the route the pgrens will use to get to your tanks and mine them.
Vet 1 infantry unlocks a very very very valuable ability - Trip Wire. I can guess that not all of you use it in the proper way. Place these dirt cheap flare mines all over the place to avoid a surprise attack and flanking.
Also, I've noticed that players use their pgrens squads in blobs so I guess any aoe artillery can beat them pretty bad if you get lucky. Well skilled player can easily avoid these barrages but if not... My favorite 100 muni Propaganda artillery doesn't kill these asshole pgrens but it sends them home and it might be a loooooooong way on some maps.
Only one unit can stand against pgrens - Shock Troops. They are super super expensive and you also need to get equal amount of troops. 3 pgrens squads on the field - 3 or better 4 shock troops against. These will cost a shit load of manpower so if you can't find enough resources to build them while your opponents sweep the floor with Panthers and pgrens with shreks - the game is over, you lost, just surrender to avoid humiliation.
21 Nov 2013, 15:17 PM

And yeah, I forgot to mention that german players get frustrated also. A consqript squad that runs in rain of bullets towards your crippling panther and throws that unavoidable at nade? Early T70? Engeneers that turn the battlefield into continuous minefield? SU76 that will devastate your defenses and run away at the speed of racecar? heavy mortars that can fire almost across the map? I can continue with this list all day.
Don't quit the game - it all depends how you play. I've seen people loosing the match even if they had Tiger Ace or 3 KV2 or 5 Panthers rushing the base....
21 Nov 2013, 15:23 PM

Su-85 can drive backwards faster than Pgrens can run forwards so I'm not really sure where the problem is... you just drive backwards in a straight line and they'll never hit you.

Also: mines, snipers, flame engis, molotovs, PPSh, guard grenades, shock troops and plenty of other things all completely shut down Pgrens with schrecks.
21 Nov 2013, 15:33 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2013, 15:23 PMCieZ
Su-85 can drive backwards faster than Pgrens can run forwards so I'm not really sure where the problem is... you just drive backwards in a straight line and they'll never hit you.

Also: mines, snipers, flame engis, molotovs, PPSh, guard grenades, shock troops and plenty of other things all completely shut down Pgrens with schrecks.

I think he means when Germans use the sprint ability on infantry :)
22 Nov 2013, 09:01 AM

I like being aggresive with Soviets, and for that reason I dont like getting messed up by PGs, so I always get shocks pretty much. Just the pressence puts off a lot of PGs from being built.

Also, if they have shreks, pretty much any inf will do the job, like 2 cons or something.

And like someone else said, if you use SU85s, keep them right right back, until the moment they need to engage somthing. Using these is a giant game of cat and mouse, because your opponent WILL try to catch the out of position. So every time he sees where they are, I either move them back a bit, or move their position all together.

But generally, I prefer T3 for the reasons you stated.. backed up by a heavy if possible.. Shock motor for Shock troops and IS-2 is my favorite.
12 Jan 2014, 11:28 AM

It would be terribly boring if tanks were untouchable steel-giants.

You mean like the German tanks?
21 Jan 2014, 10:01 AM

1st off all ur suport units need to be ahead of ur tanks, not near becouse its a huge difference while u def ur tank, then u have to choose how u wil counter them, mines, shook troops or mortar or w.e and then if u still think they r to strong, pick Germans and try to use them properly : )
21 Jan 2014, 18:08 PM

this thread was like 3 months old

don't revive it haha
23 Feb 2014, 13:41 PM

You mean like the German tanks?

oh...lol that was perfect :D
19 Mar 2014, 12:46 PM

What about conscripts with ooraah then, that's just ok?
19 Mar 2014, 13:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Mar 2014, 12:46 PMTNrg
What about conscripts with ooraah then, that's just ok?

Yes. It's totally ok.
19 Mar 2014, 13:45 PM
Donator 11

You can do a couple of things here to avoid this.

First of all, the best counter to SU85s are pgrens with shreks because they move so slow and don`t deal a lot of damage to infantries, so what you are dealing with is in a way normal. You also need to consider the fact that the upgrade does cost 120 munitions and there is a huge risk of not only loosing them but giving the soviet player the chance to pick up the shrecks.

1:

SU-85s are meant to be used from long range, keep them as far away as possible from the front lines. DO NOT advance with them. If you do this, the German player will have a really hard time getting pass your front line to go and kill those SU85s. Use your infantries or other vehicles to sport for your SU-85 or if you have 2 of them, use 1 with focus fire to spot for the other one.

2:
Pgrens with shreck are not as effective vs. infantry as normal pgrens, obviously because 2 of the models are carrying those shrecks vs. smgs. So use any infantry possible between your SU85 and the pgrens.

Or, keep a maxim or mines near by. Maxim will suppress the pgrens very quickly giving time for your SU85 to back off.

But the best counter would be a sniper. If you are using T4 as soviets, you should have gone T1. Snipers will not only automatically bring down the squad to 3 man, which is very scary (because like I mentioned previously, as a German player, you do not want to lose those shreks) but they will also spot for your SU-85s with the huge range of view they have.

3:

Always ask yourself what you would do if you were your opponent. Is your SU-85 in a vulnerable position ? did it get fausted ? if yes then back off or again prepare a maxim or sniper to cover it.

4:

At vet1 the SU85 has tracking ability, use it to detect incoming pgrens!

5:

Don`t always go for SU85s! on a tight map like Kholodny Ferma, there is a lot of corners you need to turn without knowing what`s waiting on the other side, a lot of opportunities for your enemy to faust or surprise you with shreks.

All of this being said, the only real unit that can get into real trouble vs. the shreks are the SU85s and the SU76s.

2 T34s have enough anti-infantry power to defend themselves, the t-70 has speed to get out of range and not to mention the IS-2 that can completely squad wipe any German squad for that matter.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★