Login

russian armor

How to: Create tactical map images

12 Jan 2014, 16:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=215486086 How to fix?

i think you have to define the correct image size or map size in the mapname.info, or mapname.options file. Don't remember which one it was at the moment. play around with it.
12 Jan 2014, 18:32 PM

13 Jan 2014, 10:41 AM

Hello guys , i have one question it's possibel to create one tuto via Gimp beacause it's very differante to the photoshop and no all guy have photoshop , it's just one question :)
13 Jan 2014, 12:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2014, 10:41 AMAsman
Hello guys , i have one question it's possibel to create one tuto via Bimp beacause it's very differante to the photoshop and no all guy have photoshop , it's just one question :)

You mean gimp? I'll see if I manage to write something. I'm using PSP myself so we're in the same boat.
13 Jan 2014, 12:16 PM

Yeah i use gimp but is difficult for me :)
13 Jan 2014, 14:43 PM

Hrrr It's very diferant in the gimp i d'ont understand , iam Blocked .....
13 Jan 2014, 14:47 PM

Guys i need help for create the image on the gimp please.
7 Oct 2014, 17:05 PM

Okey I did a tactical map now which didn't work in-game. It looked like the picture Vova82 posted. I tried to switch to the "normal" size for my _low file and it worked.(?) It's strange cause it's a little bit of. Can't really tell exactly what is wrong with it and I'm so tired that I can't really concentrate. Maybe I should just try cropping the _low picture until it fits? ;j

This thread is so old that I don't know if it is to be trusted anymore, is there anything that changed since WFA or whatever?

Edit: As you can see, the width is messed up but the lenght isnt? :s awgh
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=323738779
8 Oct 2014, 19:39 PM
Donator 11

You need to use 24 bit images :) you should paste your tactical map image on a relic maps mm_low image and rename it, its the safest way.
8 Oct 2014, 19:56 PM

Not that I would know what that is or how to make it so! ;j
Thanks a bunch tho surely that must be the easiest way!

Edit: Iiiiif I could find any of those files. Thought I could use the Map extractor but no. I guess I'll have to fire up Gimp and see if I can figure it out. Awgh, it always takes so much time for me to understand guides. Makes creating my first map veeery slow. As soon as I'm done with this tactical map I'll start working on a new one. So fed up with this map already. Hahaha! ;j

PS! Love you guys though, you're awesome!
8 Oct 2014, 20:16 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

here are some very useful images for creating your tacmap
http://www.coh2.org/topic/12969/how-totactical-map-images-with-gimp
9 Oct 2014, 00:26 AM

here are some very useful images for creating your tacmap

Yeah that's the one I've been using although I made it a little bit differently. I guess I'm just terrible with guides. Also it was pretty old so I couldn't be 100% sure that everything still works the same way. I'll get it eventually but just lots of trial and errors, ha!
9 Oct 2014, 13:36 PM

So okey, can't seem to find anyway to "convert" my images to 24-bit ones and using the map extractor only find custom maps which once I've extracted them does not contain any _low.tga files. I just... Get so frustrated doing all these things for hours when I know it should take 3 seconds for someone who actually knows how to do it.
9 Oct 2014, 13:51 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

ok sorry I misunderstood your issue and I had some similar issues.
Maybe this helps.
Open your map in WB and go to terrain properties. Check the playable width and height of the map
Now go to the folder of your map and open <mapname>.info
Make sure the mapsize corresponds with the data from WB, otherwise change it to it.

Now make a backup of your <mapname>.options by moving it to a different folder. OPen your map again and change something so you can save it again. It should make a new file with the correct mapsize in it.

Let me know if this works
9 Oct 2014, 16:34 PM

Height 512, width 352 in terrain properties and in .info-file. Nothing wrong there. So I guess changing .option-file wouldnt do anything for me?`

Now I tried simply changing the size of the _low file but changes nothing at all. Do I have to save the map or export package for changes to be made? Do I have to go into workshop and "publish" for it to active the changes? This method of restarting CoH2 and starting up the map a gazillion times is pretty annoying! And getting frustrated really don't help, it's very counterproductive.

Really happy there are helpful people in this forum tho. I'd probably throw the computer out the window at this point if it weren't for you guys! lulz.

.. Would it be too much to ask to have you look at the files or whatever? I can upload the image folder as a zip-file. I mean the tactical map is drawn and everything I just want the damn minimap to have the right size!
9 Oct 2014, 16:40 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

yes you must definitely export your package!
coh2 itself only sees your sga file in the mygames folder, the sga and tga files might as well not exist for the gameitself. if you dont export your map you will never see changes to your map
9 Oct 2014, 16:48 PM

Changes to the map I get but I thought that maybe the tga-files didn't have to be. Ah anyway I'm not closer to figure out what the problem is really. ;j

Only thing I can think of is increasing the size of the _low-file and by trial and error get my way until it fits perfectly.

*edit, oh yeah thats right the height of the tacmap is correct but not the width.. I have to make for a train in a couple of hours and ill be away for a couple of days this will bug me for the entire weekend.. Ugh. So now I basically just did the _low-file a lot thinner. Maybe I screwed up at some point while making the tacmap so I got the wrong proportions. Anyway, the tactical map is not even close to the sizes suggested but more like all the other tga files. It looks pretty decent at the time so I'll just leave this for now and come back at a later point with another map!
20 Nov 2014, 16:37 PM
Patrion 310

What helped for me, Casparitus, is open the .options file with notepad and see if a mapsize is being defined. I just removed that piece of text.

I must say I only edited an existing map and saved it. I did not do it for a complete new map.
1 Dec 2014, 07:56 AM

I think I've figured out exactly what the minimap_size field does in the .options file. It's the size in pixels of the playable area in your _mm_low.tga file. So it should be less than 360x360--the dimensions of the minimap (_mm_low.tga) image. What this means is that you can make the playable area in your minimap image any size you want (preferably with the same aspect ratio as the playable area), and--using the minimap_size--the game will scale map coordinates so they show up in the right spot on your minimap image.

Hadn't seen this information posted anywhere else, so maybe it'll help someone.
5 Sep 2019, 18:18 PM

Does anyone know what he _HIGH file is used for? I have never seen it used in game.

Also the _LOW is used for the in game minimap so creating a 360 pixel sized image will create a blurred image when using the full screen tac map.

What I see currently in game is:
_PREV - Usually 50% size or 384px image. Used for map selection and loading.
_LOW - Used for in game minimap. Should be based on the 768px image.

PREV - may mean PREVIEW
LOW - Low Resolution in game minimap.
HIGH - I am guessing _HIGH was used for the full screen minimap at one point, but it does not appear to be used there anymore.

The current RELIC file descriptions back up my assessment of the files:
Essence Engine Wiki
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 27
Germany 634

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %