Login

russian armor

How to: Set up a CoH2 multiplayer map

11 Nov 2013, 22:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge

So, you have an idea for a CoH2 multiplayer map and are motivated to put in the energy and create it using Relics Worldbuilder? In this video tutorial you will learn how to set up a map, pick the correct terrain and playable area size, and fulfill the minimum requirements that will allow you to save the map.

Setting up a CoH2 multiplayer map: video tutorial

The following image which is explained in the tutorial illustrates the different areas of a map and how their sizes are related.

Illustration of map areas and sizes

Teams:

Should you create a map for team games, make sure to assign the player's to their respective team in "Scenarios->Teams", so they are not mixed between the different team sectors.

Team assignment

Should you have further questions regarding specific steps in the tutorial or regarding map sizes, don't hesitate to ask them in this thread.
12 Nov 2013, 18:40 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Seb
12 Nov 2013, 19:15 PM
Admin Black Badge

Thanks for this, it is mostly the same as COH1 but it's nice to see the little differences, very well explained !

Just a note, because I didn't get it in the first place, the advice of playable - 64 to make the core is both sides included, this is why you drag your line at 1st level of grid 32 and not 2nd, for some reason I was a bit confused until I thought about it. :p

Another note would be to make sure people don't include or look for "test build" in their path to save the map.

Last but not least, it would be nice to include a screenshot of how the map you created actually looks in the game at the end, not only to hype it up a bit, but also to give people an additional way to check if they did it right. :)
12 Nov 2013, 19:27 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Nov 2013, 19:15 PMSeb

Just a note, because I didn't get it in the first place, the advice of playable - 64 to make the core is both sides included, this is why you drag your line at 1st level of grid 32 and not 2nd, for some reason I was a bit confused until I thought about it. :p

I thought i said that in the tutorial. Sorry for confusing you =)

Another note would be to make sure people don't include or look for "test build" in their path to save the map.

I thought i added a youtube notification overlay with the correct path excluding test build?! Wasn't it visible for you?

Last but not least, it would be nice to include a screenshot of how the map you created actually looks in the game at the end, not only to hype it up a bit, but also to give people an additional way to check if they did it right. :)

Yeah maybe. Well, its just a plain map with nothing on it but the 4 sectors. I thought it wasn#t necessary in this tutorial, because its only explaining the steps until you can save. But i'll maybe add one, when i get the time =)
Seb
12 Nov 2013, 19:32 PM
Admin Black Badge

I thought i added a youtube notification overlay with the correct path excluding test build?! Wasn't it visible for you?

Oh my bad... People usually use them to spam or promote other stuff so my eyes automatically ignore them. :(

Yeah maybe. Well, its just a plain map with nothing on it but the 4 sectors. I thought it wasn#t necessary in this tutorial, because its only explaining the steps until you can save. But i'll maybe add one, when i get the time =)

Well I remember very well when I first started into worldbuilder, I was really proud to be able to move units on that empty map I created. :)
13 Nov 2013, 10:29 AM

After double checking the settings in wb were correct as far as assigning bases to player slots(I had to have miss something though), I can't figure out why player base slots are not correct. HELP! I am playing annihilation with fixed locations & I'm certain the option is set in the mp setup screen. Slots 1-4 are on one side of a river, 5-8 on the other. But when I tested as 8 players (only way I've tried), it's 1,3,5,7 that are team one .... 2,4,6,8 team two... otherwise VERY good tutorials!!! However I'd make it clearer that to share the end result maps with pals they simply need the .sga file put into : C:\Users\*\Documents\my games\company of heroes 2\mods\scenarios
13 Nov 2013, 10:31 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Check out the menu "Scenarios/Teams" and assign the correct players to the correct teams.
13 Nov 2013, 10:56 AM

Check out the menu "Scenarios/Teams" and assign the correct players to the correct teams.

OH!! ok sweet... thanks!
13 Nov 2013, 11:40 AM

any tips on #4 in the new Steam news? "4. If you run the following command from their Steam install folder:
Archive.exe -a CoH2\Archives\MPScenarios.sga -e CoH2\Data
The archive tool will extract all our MP maps, which you can then load to figure out how we’ve done things." dragged it into a command prompt, typed the info, but didnt work. I'd love to see how you guys set them up in more detail.
13 Nov 2013, 11:50 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I never tryed that. I used Copernicus .sga extractor instead
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?270246-TOOL-CoH2-SGA-Extractor-v-1-2-26-09-13

Maybe someone else can help you out with the archieve.exe way
13 Nov 2013, 12:10 PM

Thanks for this Onkelsam.
13 Nov 2013, 20:39 PM

I never tryed that. I used Copernicus .sga extractor instead
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?270246-TOOL-CoH2-SGA-Extractor-v-1-2-26-09-13

Maybe someone else can help you out with the archieve.exe way

got it! thanks again... you rock.
13 Nov 2013, 21:55 PM

You address the map dimensions as meters. Does one unit in map size actually roughly represent a one meter?
13 Nov 2013, 22:04 PM

I extracted the files but after tweaking it & not getting any errors on save, I exported it but it doesn't show up in list... the otehr 2 I've messed with are there. Do you know if the factory/samples I extracted are somehow not available in list? (specifically, I made it a 4-6 player map & made it no ice.)
14 Nov 2013, 07:39 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2013, 21:55 PMZtormi
You address the map dimensions as meters. Does one unit in map size actually roughly represent a one meter?

On the setup screen, where you pick the dimensions of your map it says "Cell Size: 1.0 m", that's why i think it is indeed the correct dimension to use. Also, when using a grid overlay it's measured in meters.
14 Nov 2013, 07:41 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I extracted the files but after tweaking it & not getting any errors on save, I exported it but it doesn't show up in list... the otehr 2 I've messed with are there. Do you know if the factory/samples I extracted are somehow not available in list? (specifically, I made it a 4-6 player map & made it no ice.)

Maybe still the export package bug from the Beta. You can't export a map successfully unless you restart worldbuilder after saving your last changes.
So, make your map, save it. close WB, restart worldbuilder, then export package.
14 Nov 2013, 10:07 AM

never mind... it seems after converting the sga to sgb file & opening it in WB, you must "save as" and name it anything else... add a "2" if ya want. Then export package & it shows up.
14 Nov 2013, 10:14 AM
Honorary Member Badge

never mind... it seems after converting the sga to sgb file & opening it in WB, you must "save as" and name it anything else... add a "2" if ya want. Then export package & it shows up.

Thats the same bug i mentioned. You may either rename it, which results in closing the map you just saved and re-opening it under the new name. Or you just restart your worldbuilder before exporting, without renaming.
14 Nov 2013, 16:03 PM

hello i am new to COH2 mapping, and i need some help making a 8 player map.
the problem is that i can't get it to create command territory (when i load the map my engineers can't build).
14 Nov 2013, 16:19 PM
Honorary Member Badge

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★